From intern Jessica:
1. Don't want to completely de-robe to use the restroom?...Face the back of the toilet.
2. Wait for a date. The closer your date the more bargaining power you have. Some venues even offer specials for dates that are hard to sell.
3. Stay organized! Have copies of all vendor contracts, checks and credit card receipts. Laying out terms in black & white ensures you get exactly what you pay for.
4. To avoid lipstick on your teeth, put your index finger in your mouth then draw it out with your mouth closed. What you see on your finger would have ended up on your teeth!
5. Ask the manager(s) of your ceremony/reception venues for any restrictions. It would stink to order fresh rose petals to line your aisle, only to find out the day of that the ceremony space does not allow real petals on the floor! Grrr
6. If you are wearing a strapless dress, be sure to remove your bra at least and hour before putting on your dress to avoid red marks on your shoulders.
7. Be sure to have your dress fitted with the shoes and undergarments you will wear on the day of. This will avoid the dress being too tight, long, short and make sure brassieres are not visible.
8. Write a must shoot photo list. It seems silly to say but on your big day you will be full of adrenaline. In the words of Aerosmith you "don't want to miss a thing."
9. Look to your vendors to lead you to other reputable vendors. The vendors you hire will be able to tell you who they have worked with whose food is beyond reproach or whose blooms are lasting. Do your due diligence.
10. Hire a wedding planner! Ensure your day runs smoothly by having a planner worry about details like where your programs should be set up or a wedding day timeline.